How do I report a concern to the GPhC?

The GPhC has an online form on which you can report your concern.

Please include as much detail as possible with your concern and let us know what, if any, action you have already taken about your concern. Please also provide all evidence such as packaging, prescriptions and receipts relating to the incident - you can upload documents with the form, such as images or word documents.

If you require any help completing the form, call the Customer Service Team on 0203 713 8000, or email them at and we will be happy to help.