Who else can help with concerns

Depending on the nature of the concern, another organisation may be in a better position to help: 

NHS treatment and services

•    Patients in England – [NHS England]
•    Patients in Scotland – [NHS National Services Scotland]
•    Patients in Wales – [NHS 111 Wales]
•    Patients in Northern Ireland – [NI Direct]

A medicine or drug manufacturer

Please contact the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).

Another type of health professional or health service

Visit the Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care (PSA) website for information about the regulators for all types of healthcare professionals.

For concerns regarding other health settings or services such as a hospital, health clinic or care home in England, please contact the Care Quality Commission (CQC). The CQC is the independent regulator for health and social care in England. For services in Scotland contact the Care Inspectorate. For care and social services in Wales, see the Care Inspectorate Wales website.


The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) can look into complaints about misleading, harmful or offensive advertisements. The ASA also has powers to change or remove an advertisement.

Personal information

The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) deals with complaints from members of the public who believe their personal information has been handled incorrectly. The ICO is responsible for enforcing the rights set out in legislation, including administering the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

Something else

For anything else, contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau.