Our statutory objective is to protect, promote and maintain the health, safety and wellbeing of members of the public and in particular of those members of the public who use or need the services of registrants, or the services provided at a registered pharmacy, by ensuring that registrants, and those persons carrying on a retail pharmacy business at a registered pharmacy, adhere to such standards as the council considers necessary for the safe and effective practice of pharmacy.
Our vision is for pharmacy regulation to play its part in improving quality- of which safety is a critical element- in pharmacy practice and ultimately health and well-being in England, Scotland and Wales.
Our strategic plan 2017-20
Patients and the public will always have the right to expect safe and effective care from pharmacy. As the pharmacy regulator we are committed to regulating in a way that supports this and enables it to happen. Our strategic plan for 2017-20 sets out how we will continue to achieve this over the next three years.
Our strategic aim is to support and improve the delivery of safe, effective care and uphold trust in pharmacy by ensuring:
- the pharmacy team have the necessary knowledge, attitudes and behaviours to deliver pharmacy services and improve them
- registered pharmacies deliver safe, effective care and services improving the quality of pharmacy practice.
- pharmacy regulation is efficient and effective
Our business plan 2017-20
Our business plan 2017-20 sets out the key programmes of work we will prioritise in the next three years to help us to achieve our strategic plan, as well as our ongoing work to deliver our regulatory functions. The business plan also sets out a detailed annual plan for the delivery of work in the 2017/18 financial year.
Our key programmes of work for 2017-20 are:
- Developing our approach to regulating registered pharmacies to provide assurance and encourage improvement
- Promoting professionalism through the standards for pharmacy professionals and related guidance
- Providing further assurance to the public that pharmacy professionals are meeting the standards
- Setting the standards and quality assuring the initial education and training for pharmacists and pharmacy technicians
- Developing our data and insight strategy
- Transforming our services and the way we work
- Delivering our regulatory functions