Registering as a pharmacy technician

To practice as a pharmacy technician in Great Britain, you need to register with us and meet our requirements for education, training and experience.

As a pharmacy technician, you’ll work under the supervision of the pharmacist to ensure the safe running of the pharmacy and make sure patients get the most from their medicines. 

If you want to practise as a pharmacy technician in England, Scotland or Wales, it is a legal requirement to be registered with the GPhC. 

Find out how to register

What you will need

Pharmacy technicians need to complete a certain level of education, training and experience in the United Kingdom (even if you have qualified in another country).

When you renew your registration with us each year, you will also need to complete a declaration statement that you meet all our standards for pharmacy professionals.

To practise as a pharmacist or pharmacy technician, you need to have professional indemnity insurance in place that covers you for any risks associated with your area of work.

Find out more about appropriate indemnity cover

To register as a pharmacist or a pharmacy technician, you need to have the necessary knowledge of English to practice safely and effectively.

Find out about language requirements

Pharmacy technicians who trained overseas