We have published our new enforcement policy for registered pharmacies which sets out the approach and principles we will follow when using our enforcement options and supports consistent decision-making.
Our overall approach is to support and encourage pharmacy owners to meet the standards for registered pharmacies.
We have a number of different enforcement options available to us to secure compliance with our standards. These range from improvement action plans to statutory enforcement powers including improvement notices and conditions on registered pharmacy premises.
We use our statutory enforcement powers in situations when a pharmacy owner does not complete an improvement action plan and carry out the necessary changes to make sure our standards are met, or in situations when there is a serious risk to patient safety.
The enforcement policy:
- sets out the approach and principles we follow when using our enforcement options
- summarises the range of enforcement options available to us
- outlines the criteria we take into account when making decisions about which enforcement option, or combination of options, to use
- supports consistent decision-making about when to use our enforcement options
- aligns with our wider strategic approach to regulation