What to do if you can’t submit revalidation

Tell us that you can’t meet your revalidation requirement using the ‘tell us you can’t submit' button on my GPhC.

You'll need to give a brief explanation of the reasons why you aren’t able to submit all of your records by your renewal due date, and provide evidence to support your reasons.

Make sure you explain how your situation has affected your ability to carry out and record CPD. If you have been or are likely to be absent from work, include this too – it will help us understand the reasons for the changes you request.

You can request an extension to the deadline, or to submit fewer records by the existing deadline.

If you request a submission deadline extension, make sure that you will be able to submit a full revalidation record by the date you propose.

If you request a reduction in the number of entries that you are required to submit, please be aware that if you have worked for any period of time in the previous year we expect you to submit a minimum of one planned CPD entry and one completed reflective account as your revalidation record.

Long periods of holiday leave away from work, or intermittent part time locum work do not count as exceptional circumstances. We expect you to complete and submit a full revalidation record to cover this time.

Providing evidence to support your exceptional circumstance request 

We will not accept a request without supporting evidence. All evidence needs to be from a healthcare professional, or a formal document, which relates to the reason you are requesting an extension or reduction to your entries.

You must provide evidence that clearly states:

1. the condition or situation which is affecting your ability to complete your revalidation 

For example, if you are ill, provide information from a healthcare professional about the condition that you have, so that we can use this to decide if the request that you have made is appropriate. 

2. the full period of time you are or will be affected

For example, if you are pregnant, we need to know when you are not practising. You will need to explain in your request the dates of your maternity leave and upload a copy of your completed MAT B1 form or your baby’s birth certificate to provide evidence of the timings you state in your request. We don’t accept NHS cards as these only have an expiry date and are valid for up to two years.

We do not guarantee that we will grant the request that you make. We make a decision about your request by:

  • considering if the reason you have given in your request justifies a extension or reduction in entries
  • whether the evidence you have provided supports your request adequately
  • looking at the amount of time you have not been or will not be practising to work out how much of an extension or reduction of entries is appropriate

If you need to make an exceptional circumstances request, we only consider reducing the requirement in proportion to the time which you are unable to practise. This means that you should make sure that you have attempted to complete entries covering the rest of your registration year.

We will only grant extension requests for short term and unexpected events which prevent you from submitting your completed entries on time, not for circumstances where you have not carried out learning activities.