We are consulting on proposed guidance for pharmacist prescribers to make sure they provide safe and effective care when prescribing.
The guidance sets out nine key areas that relate to the provision of safe and effective prescribing. Pharmacist prescribers should consider the first eight areas when prescribing, to ensure safe and effective care. These are:
- taking responsibility for prescribing safely
- keeping up to date and prescribing within your level of competence
- working in partnership with other healthcare professionals and people seeking care
- prescribing in certain circumstances
- prescribing non-surgical cosmetic medicinal products
- remote prescribing
- safeguards for the remote prescribing of certain medicines
- raising concerns
Section 9 deals with information for pharmacy owners and employers of pharmacist prescribers.
We want to hear your views
The consultation will be open for 12 weeks until 21 June 2019; we look forward to receiving responses from anyone with an interest in pharmacist prescribing, including patients and the public, pharmacist prescribers, other pharmacy professionals and employers.
Resources for organisations
These resources are designed to help you share the consultation on guidance for pharmacist prescribers: